Gardenburger Original Veggie Patty
From Todd Wilbur's Top Secret Recipes Lite!
¼ cup water -- boiling
2 tablespoons bulgur wheat
1 pound mushrooms (4 cups), quartered and steamed
1 cup onion (1/2 cup), diced and steamed
½ cup water
½ cup rolled oats
⅔ cup cooked brown rice
½ cup low-fat mozzarella cheese -- shredded
2 tablespoons low-fat cheddar cheese -- shredded
2 tablespoons low-fat cottage cheese
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon garlic powder
1 dash pepper
2 tablespoons cornstarch
olive oil cooking spray
1. Add 1/4 cup boiling water to bulgur wheat in a small bowl and let sit 60 minutes. The wheat will swell to double its size.
2. Steam the quartered mushrooms 10 minutes or until tender, then remove from the steamer.
3. Steam onion 10 minutes or until pieces are translucent. (Keep the mushrooms and onions separate and set aside.)
4. Add 1/2 cup water to the oats and let them soak about 10 minutes, until soft.
5. Drain any excess water from the bulgur wheat and oats, then combine the grains with the steamed mushrooms, rice, cheeses, and spices in a food processor and pulse 4-5 times until ingredients are chopped fine, but not pureed. (You want a coarse texture with some identifiable chunks of grain, mushroom, and cheese.)
6. Pour the mixture into a bowl with the steamed onion and cornstarch and mix well.
7. Preheat oven to 300 degrees and set a large skillet over medium-low heat.
8. Spray the skillet with a light coating of olive oil cooking spray.
9. Measure 1/2 cup at a time of the patty mix into the pan and shape with a spoon into a 3 3/4-inch patty about 1/2 inch thick.
10. Cook patties in batches for 2-4 minutes per side, or until light brown on surface.
11. When all of the patties have been cooked in the skillet, arrange them on a lightly sprayed baking sheet and bake 20-25 minutes in the oven. Be sure to turn them over half-way through the cooking time.
12. You can serve immediately, or freeze them, like the original, when they have cooked.
Makes 6 patties.
Reheating After Freezing (4 options)
13a. (PAN FRY - recommended) Simply spray a light coating of olive oil cooking spray on each side and heat each patty in a pan over medium heat for 3-4 minutes on each side until hot in the center.
13b. (GRILL - recommended) Spray each frozen patty with olive oil cooking spray and be sure flames are low. Cook 3-4 minutes on each side.
13c. (MICROWAVE) Microwave 30-35 seconds, turn over, and microwave another 30-35 seconds.
13d. (MICROWAVE/TOASTER OVEN) Microwave 30-35 seconds, then place in toaster or toaster oven and cook on medium heat until hot in the center.
Notes: Bulgur wheat can be found in health food stores. If food processor is too small, divide the mix in half or cut the recipe in half.
Each patty has 3 grams fat and 135 calories 3 points