SAUSAGE AND PEPPER HEROES
Number of servings: 4
POINTS per serving: 6
˝ lb. Italian-style turkey sausage, cut into ˝ inch slices
1 sweet onion, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
1 tsp olive oil
1 red pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
1 green pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
8 oz. loan Italian bread
1. In a large nonstick skillet, sauté sausage until browned, about 5 minutes.
2. Add onion and oil. Saute˘ until softened, about 5 minutes longer. Transfer to a plate.
3. In a skillet, sauté peppers until softened, about 5 minutes. If necessary, add up to 4 tablespoons water to prevent sticking.
4. Stir in vinegar, then return sausage mixture to skillet. Toss to combine.
5. Split bread lengthwise, almost all the way through, and spread open. Top with sausage mixture.
6. Close break then cut crosswise into 4 sandwiches.